Employment Support


On-Installation Employment Resources

Army: Employment Readiness Program

Navy: Spouse Employment Assistance Program

Air Force: Career Focus Program

Marine Corps: Family Member Employment Assistance Program

Coast Guard: Access CG SUPRT or call 1.855.247.8778

  • Individual job skill assessment and counseling
  • Resume and cover letter preparation
  • Computer, printer, and internet access
  • Information on local job market and listings
  • Career seminars
  • Assistance with career and job search strategies
  • Coping strategies to help during transition

Click here to find Installation Contact Information that is specific to where you live and want to work.


Off-Installation Employment Resources


Our website, MSBHC has partnered with the Military Spouse Corporate Career Network (MSCCN) to bring you direct access to employment opportunities through our portal. Be sure to sign up today!! They offer access to nationwide employers including those with work-from home jobs (many with benefits) to military spouses.

Joining Forces/MSEP/SECO

The Obama Administration has created the Military Spouse Employment Portal to help military spouses translate their military skills for the civilian workforce, built new online tools to aid in their search for jobs, and partnered with the private sector to make it easier to connect our spouses with companies that want to hire them. The Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP) provides a digital recruiting platform, offering direct access to job seeking military spouses.Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) offers all military spouses comprehensive education and career opportunities through Military OneSource.


The Military Officers Association of America is a great resource for career information. They have military spouse symposiums across the country and offer both Live Career Fairs and Virtual Career Fairsas well as a LinkedIn™ MOAA Career Networking Group.

Hiring Our Heroes

Hiring Our Heroes for Spouses is a nationwide initiative to help military spouses find meaningful employment opportunities. There you can access job fairs, resume help and more!

Resume Building

Your resume should highlight the skills you have and show you are the best candidate for the job. The goal of your resume is to win a job interview and ultimately get that job.

If you are a mid-level to senior professional military spouses you may find a chronological or time-line resume format a challenge due to breaks in employment or frequent relocations. It may be helpful to utilize a functional format which focuses on your skill set, rather than the length and location of your previous employment.

Many spouses find it helpful to have more than one version of their resume: a chronological format inclusive of all employment and volunteer experiences and a custom written resume matching your skills with the job requirements. A comprehensive chronological resume will help you build additional resumes for each job application you complete.

  • The Military Spouse Employment Toolkit offers resume building advice and examples to follow.
  • The MSEP Resume Templates offer several examples of resumes. It is a great resource to see what other job seekers are using as CV’s and resumes.
  • You can also use the Resume Builder to help you translate volunteer experiences onto your resume to help you get that job.
  • If you also happened to be a military service member in your former life, be sure to use the Military Skills Translator offered by military one source to help you turn your experience into career opportunities.


Military spouses are not strangers to active volunteerism. Many volunteer within their local installations in family support centers, aid societies, child and youth programs, family readiness groups, hospitals, and schools. Military spouses also volunteer “outside the gate” in youth programs, church groups, community organizations, and other civic groups.

Volunteering may help you develop an interest in a new field or help you hone your skills within a particular area. Mobile military spouses can feel isolated when moving to a new community and may consider volunteering as a way to make new friends and make a difference in the lives of others. A volunteer position may even lead to an employment opportunity, or can be highlighted on your resume to show your active involvement in your community.

  • Contact your family service center or group for volunteer opportunities. Or go to www.volunteermatch.org to find an opportunity that fits you.
  • You can also use the Military Spouse Employment Toolkit to improve your resume. You can use the skills you used volunteering to get a paying job!


Several organization offer mentoring programs to military spouses:

  • Business and Professional Women’s Foundation (BPW) provides mentoring, jobs, and resources for women veterans and military spouses with its program Joining Forces for Women Veterans and Military Spouses Mentoring Plus™.

  • MilSpouse eMentor Program was created by the Academy of Women and provides a virtual career building network for military spouses. Mentors and spouses can register and connect online.

Supervision for Licensure: COMING SOON

Our friends at Give an Hour will be helping to provide Supervision hours from their network of counselors and clinicians! DATE TBD

Supervision: American Association for Marriage and Family Therapists

The link below is from the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapists. Although accreditation is voluntary for marriage and family therapists, programs applying for accreditation have to meet certain guidelines. At this time, according to the AAMFT, more than half of states recognized their curriculum as a substitute  coursework to meet state licensure standards.

By using the link below, you can enter your zip code and find accredited and approved supervisors up to 100 miles from your location.


Certification/Supervision for Certified Rehabilitation Counselors

The following website details the certification requirements for anyone wanting to become Certified Rehabilitation Counselor.


Scholarships for Licensure

Our friends at the National Military Family Association offer scholarships to cover education, licensure and fees associated with both.

COMING SOON: Possible partnership with ArmyMobile and others will be offering scholarship opportunities for our military spouses. Also on the horizon, the Department of Labor is going to be providing some financial relief to spouses who PCS and have to pay licensing fees over and over again.

Military Spouse Preference

MSP applies to spouses of active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces, Coast Guard, and full time National Guard personnel. MSP provides priority in the employment selection process for relocating military spouses. Spouse preference is not limited to the branch of military of which the sponsor is serving or to only those who have previously worked for the federal government. Preference applies worldwide to most DoD appropriated fund (APF) positions at pay grades S-15 and below. Military spouses must contact a Civilian Hiring Office to register for the MSP program.

Spouses of active duty service members may be eligible for preference if the following conditions are met:

  • They were married to the active duty service member prior to the reporting date to the new assignment
  • The relocation was based on a PCS transfer and not separation or retirement
  • The vacant position is within commuting distance of the new PCS location
  • They are among the best-qualified group of candidates for the position

Spouses may begin exercising their preference 30 days before their sponsor reporting date and for the duration of the tour as long as they do not decline a position considered valid for MSP under DoD policy. Spouses relocating overseas must wait until they arrive at the new duty station to begin applying for positions using military spouse preference.
Preference applies to the initial employment at the location. Once the spouse accepts or declines a federal position at the new duty station, eligibility terminates, whether or not the position was obtained through spouse preference. If a spouse indicates an interest in a temporary position and then declines an offer, the spouse loses the preference. Preference is also lost if a temporary position is accepted and the duration of the position is extended and the spouse declines the extension. If the position offered is for less than one year or ends early, the spouse continues to retain preference. . This preference may be used once per PCS move.

Click here for more Tips about Military Spouse Preference

Federal Jobs

For many military spouses, working for the federal government is a wonderful career decision that allows spouses to maintain and advance in their chosen fields without losing status or seniority when their service member relocates due to Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders.

Competition can be fierce for many federal positions, especially during times of economic uncertainty, when workers seek the stability of federal employment. Learn some of Terms You Should Know for the federal hiring process.

Almost all federal jobs are posted on the USAJOBS website. But you will need to follow the vacancy announcement instructions on how to apply, which sometimes means applying for the job using an online resume-builder at a different site. Sites for Department of Defense (DoD) job listings also include:

These programs are designed to help spouses land jobs in the federal civil service system. Talk to your local hiring authority, or CPO, to understand how these programs work in your area.

    Noncompetitive appointment of certain military spouses. Under this program, a hiring authority, or CPO, can hire a military spouse without going through the usual competitive process. To be eligible, military spouses must meet the job qualifications and have moved with their spouse under permanent change of station (PCS) orders within the last two years. Military widows or widowers and spouses of 100 percent disabled veterans are also eligible. When applying for a position, note in your cover letter or application that you wish to be considered for the position under the noncompetitive hiring authority for military spouses. You will need a copy of your spouse's PCS orders and a copy of your marriage certificate.

    Priority Placement Program (PPP) for military spouses. If you meet the requirements, you should apply for Program "S" or the Military Spouse Preference (MSP) program. This is the only way you can receive military spouse preference for a civil service position within the continental United States (CONUS). You can apply for the program through your local CPO. You will be asked to provide certain documentation, including your marriage certificate and a copy of your spouse's PCS orders. Although employment is not guaranteed, MSP does give priority to military spouses when they apply for certain positions. For detailed information, visit the Army's Civilian Personnel Online Military Spouse Preference page. If you are applying for a federal civil service job outside the contiguous United States (OCONUS), visit the Family Employment Readiness Program office at your installation CPO for more information.

Unemployment Compensation

Each state has different requirements that must be met in order to receive unemployment compensation, such as: minimum hours worked for the employer, the reason for leaving employment, geographical distance between employer and your new location, and if you are actively pursuing other employment opportunities from your new location.

As of August 2012, 44 states and the District of Columbia permit an individual who leaves employment, most often due to a move, to remain eligible for unemployment compensation. Generally, the type of unemployment compensation a military spouse receives does not charge the employers’ account, but rather comes from the state’s general unemployment fund. In other words, your former employer will not be penalized if you file an unemployment compensation claim.

How to Apply for Unemployment Compensation

Eligible military spouses must apply for unemployment compensation from the state where employment was performed, not the state you are moving to. If you are not able to apply for compensation without physically being located in the state in which you were employed, you may need to go to your local unemployment office in your new state and file an inter-state claim. An inter-state claim allows you to receive unemployment compensation from your previous state while meeting the job searching requirements from your new state.

Find more information on state and territory unemployment compensation for military spouses or review the DoD Unemployment Compensation map.


Defense Centers of Excellence: Blog and Monthly Webinars

Extension Learn: Learning Online Webinars

MSCCN:  Employment Trainings on Federal Resumes, Job Interviews, At Home Work, Skill Trainings and MORE! *Also available exclusively (by appointment) to our members!!

Educational Assistance


Find a Scholarship

If you are looking for additional avenues of financial aid, please check out their scholarship finder

Loans Scholarships and Grants

Students and families in search of options for funding undergraduate education can check out available MOAA grants and scholarships. Or find alternate funding options with MOAA's new Scholarship Finder!

Financial Aid Resources

Are you looking for additional avenues of financial aid? Whether looking for SAT/ACT Prep software, Undergraduate or Graduate studies assistance, MOAA has compiled some useful Web sites and other information that might help you in your search for financial aid.

Scholarship Search Engine

Find financial aid for you, your spouse, child or grandchild. Search for scholarships, grants, or loans available to the military community. This tool is a resource only available to MOAA members, so you will be prompted to login to proceed to the scholarship finder.Bottom of Form

Joining Forces

Principles of Excellence, provide protections for our military and veterans to prevent against dishonest recruiting and predatory practices in institutions of higher learning.

Military Spouse Education Initiative



Virginia Advisory Council on Military Education (VA-ACME)

  • Must be a spouse, service member or military child
  • Application must be submitted by January 12, 2015
  • $1000 scholarships awarded
  • Click here to apply

National Military Family Association

Corvias Foundation

  • Educational grants open to spouses at specific installations
  • $5,000 one-time grant
  • Deadline to apply is May 7, 2015
  • Click here to apply

Pat Tillman Foundation

Folds of Honor

  • Opens annually in February 2015

Click here for details


  • Opens annually in April 2015

Click here for details

Credible Scholarship Search Engines
Search by degree, state, ethnicity, “military spouse,” and more
Scholarship & Financial Aid Explorer
Fast Web

Branch Aid Societies

Marine Corps/Navy: Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (Now OPEN)

  • Offering interest-free loans and grants for undergraduate/post-secondary education at an accredited 2- or 4-year education, technical or vocational institution in the United States
  • Must apply by May 1, 2015

Air Force Aid Association (Now OPEN)                                 

Army: Army Emergency Relief (Opens January 1, 2015)

  • Student must be the spouse of an active duty or retired Soldier or the widow(er) of a Soldier who died while on active duty or while retired.

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance (Open on a rolling basis)

GI Bill Transferability

Using VA Benefits as a Spouse or Dependent (Download a PDF)

Graduate Level Education

The abundance of resources available to Undergrad students begins to become limited once you reach Grad Level courses. Below is a list of suggested options for how you can fund your Masters Level & higher degrees, without creating financial hardship for yourself.

1. Start with the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA)
2. Scholarships

  •      Check with your school first then Professional Associations for your major.

For example, if you are majoring in Human Resources visit SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management) for potential scholarship incentives

  •      Credible search engines



3. Spouse Clubs

Annually, in the beginning of the year, Spouse Clubs around the globe open up scholarships for all levels of education

4. Grants

Article: USNews Best Graduate Schools

5. Branch Aid Societies

Annually, in the beginning of the year, the Aid Societies for the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy offer various types of grants, scholarships or interest free student loans.

6. Private Organizations

7. Employer Incentive Programs

Often, employers offer tuition assistance programs for courses relevant to your position.

8. Loans

Federal Student Aid Direct 

      Subsidized: As per U.S. News “As of July 1, 2012, graduate school students were no longer eligible to take subsidized Stafford loans, a popular federal loan with  interest paid by the government until after graduation.”

       Unsubsidized: 6.8 % interest rate; Interest does accrue from the time the loan is disbursed to the school.

       Graduate PLUS loans: 7.9 % interest rate

State License Portability

The First Lady and Dr. Biden issued a call to action to all 50 U.S. governors to take executive or legislative action to streamline state licensing for service members, veterans, and their spouses by the end of 2015. Today, 46 states have answered this call by passing legislation that streamlines the ability for service members and veterans to obtain civilian certification and licensure. Check to see if legislation exists in your state:

Military spouses, who require a license to work, are encouraged to contact their state licensing board early to inquire about the process to become licensed.  This 50 state spouse licensure map gives a good visual of just which states have some form of license portability legislation on the books and are helping  Military Spouses Get Back to Work.

The three main categories of state-specific legislation that support military spouse career portability include: 

  1. Endorsements – A license by endorsement means a new state will recognize a license in good standing from another state.
  2. Temporary licensure – A temporary license allows a military spouse with an up-to-date license from another state to begin work in a new state while completing the state-specific requirements.
  3. Expedite review – This process will accelerate the review of a military spouse’s license application.